NDrive Real GPS Navigation for Symbian
Easy to navigate through with features including true detailed navigation, voice based guidance system, on the fly zooming and a crucial support for touch based smartphones of Nokia S60. With touch based interface now becoming the standard to follow and implement for all the major brands like iPhone, RIM Blackberry and of course Nokia its an important step for any 3rd party applications to offer touch based support.
NDrive for Nokia is set to be the primary competitor to existing GPS applications like Garmin GPS Navigator, TomTom Navigator and Route 66 Navigation etc and it sure as hell looks like that it will give them a fair competition to say the least. It offers visual and voice based spoken instructions for any turn you want or should take regardless of how small, tight or big they are. It supports multiple languages and for each of your set location it provides local information related to that waypoint like restaurants, taxi services, hospitals, movie theaters etc. According to your specific needs you can easily categorize them, add them to your favorites and get their coordinates, post-codes, cultural and historical specialties etc.
It has two preset profiles namely, the personal and business profile which you can set to automatically find information related to your specific needs. For example, the business profile offers information related/preferred to businesses like banks, stock exchanges, airports while in personal profile you will get information related to personal entertainment needs like fast food restaurants, shopping centers, museums etc. You can also choose in which unit you want the information to be displayed e.g. mph or kmph.
- Auto Zooming: NDrive GPS adjusts itself automatically depending on the speed of your traveling so that you can concentrate on your driving. You can also specify a fixed zooming view in case you want your maps to have a default view throughout your journey.
- 3D Landmarks: Automatic landmark is another great feature with which you can view a complete 360 degree angle for any important or notable point of interest. The rendering of the landmarks are truly top-notch and are easy to rotate to have a better understanding. Details of the landmark is also displayed once you focus on them.
- Multiple Themes: There are several different kinds of templates (or skins) that you can choose depending on the light and environment conditions or the brightness of your screen. During night you would want to choose a bright scheme as it will greatly enhance readability.
- Power Integration: NDrive for S60 Symbian OS comes with 3 power managemement options which lets you control the back-light the way you want. It also offers a speaker as you would expect. For some specific places likes London, States, Finland etc it also offers true real satellite image based navigation which truly surpasses Assisted GPS and Enhanced GPS experience in all ways.
- Easy Navigational Bookmarks: With NDrive for Nokia 3rd and 5th edition phones bookmarking your personal favorite point of interests along with the preset favorites are as easy as 123. You can add, edit and remove point of interests and favorites on the fly and share them with your friends on the fly.
- Multiple Routing Modes: Nokia NDrive GPS comes with 3 different route calculation options. The shortest option will provide you the shortest route to the location, the fastest option will calculate the way through freeways and highways with the minimal traffic conditions and lastly the pedestrian mode will show you the shortest route to your location by foot. Through Nokia NDrive GPS you can also select to ignore or accept the tolls that may exist within your route.
- Hot Map Add-ons: Add-Ons are also available through which you can set a predefined ‘alarm based’ speed limit, calculate your speed against the legal allowed local speed limit etc. You can also be automatically alerted when passing through a safety camera zone. Other specific add-ons include 12 hour or 24 hour based clock display, time zone adjustments, turn off image navigation and display text based details only.
- Packed with Extras: Beside the addons I previously mentioned with NDrive you can explore the list of recently viewed places and checkpoints, get information about any postcodes, categorize POI or Points of Interest based on your preferences. NDrive also lets you receive and make calls, sms etc while you are in GPS navigation mode.
For sure, Nokia NDrive GPS comes pack with features and add-ons that should result in it being a big hit in the smartphones industry. It is fast, accurate and relatively lightweight than other similar Nokia GPS applications like Garmin, Sygic McGuilder, TomTom Navigator etc. and seems to be getting better already. Soon enough we also hope that it will integrate the Touch OS capability of Nokia 5th edition which apparently is still in a beta version. All in all this mobile application NDrive GPS should impress you with everything it has to offer and I surely recommend that you download it asap.
I have included a complete tutorial with the download just in case someone testing a GPS application for the first time has a good time with it without getting all lost. Additionally, I have included the location of all the maps that is currently available for NDrive including those of the entire Western and Eastern Europe, Asia, USA, Americas, etc.
The NDrive Real GPS Concept Demo Video:
The NDrive GPS for Nokia (and Samsung) -
NDrive User Guide:
NDrive NMaps or Audio Supported Maps:
Some 3rd edition Samsung phones like the Samsung Omnia HD, i8910 etc are also supported beside Nokia smartphones. A complete list of Nokia phones that are currently supported to work with NDrive are Nokia N95, N95 8gb, N96, N80, N73, N79, N90, E63, N82, N81, 5600, 5700 Xpress Music, 5800, 5730, the 6110 Navigator, the brand new Nokia N86, N85, 6210, 6220, 6120, E71, E70, E50, E66, E62, E61, E65, E90, E61, E61i, 6124, N78, N79, N77, N76, N91 8gb, N92, N93, N97 and more.
Cheers and keep rockin!