All Mobile Twitter Apps for Nokia
Twitter is a social communication service that mainly revolves around your activities, updates, status and even your moods when you are mobile or sitting at home. This mobile focused service is the ultimate way to keep connected with your friends, colleagues, families and even favorite Rockstars in real time through what is now known as ‘Tweets’ – 160 characters based SMS like short status updates and micro posts.
If you have never heard about Twitter then I will request you to immediately sign up for it and then come back to this post. Let me assure you: Twitter is the perfect service to bind your real time mobile life with all your social profiles centrally (like in Facebook, MySpace, OVI etc.) with the help of your mobile phone via Twitter.
If you are a proud owner of a Nokia symbian OS mobile phone and you have already been using Twitter from your phone with the help of Twitter’s default java client for mobile, then this post is what you are looking for!
While Twitter already had a wide range of apps for Blackberry Phones, PDAs and other smartphones (mainly developed by 3rd party developers) it was only a few months back that they created a dedicated Java client for the Symbian OS mobile phone users. However, almost all of us who have downloaded that app from the official Twitter website has to agree that the official Twitter client for Symbian phones literally sucks and when compared to what I am about to feature here today!
All the applications for Twitter listed should use your Mobile Internet or GPRS/HSDPA/3G etc. for sending out the tweets or SMS, thus they all will replace the default SMS mode with a much more cost effective yet feature rich solution as the amount of data transferred via GPRS should cost less than 70% of the price per SMS/tweets.
Mobileways Gravity is one of the most fantastic mobile twitter clients that I have ever tested out so far. It is one of the most extensive Twitter apps for Nokia and I can honestly say that not even any Twitter clients for Blackberry or other PDA platforms can match it.
Mobileways Gravity is a native mobile app for symbian mobile phones of series 60 Nokia which offers extensive lists of options to you for keeping yourself connected! Mobileways Twitter application for Nokia is developed by the same folks who brought Wireless IRC to Symbian OS 8 edition phones for the first time. This intuitive and highly customizable mobile phone application offers integration with several other WEB 2.0 social networks and communities to further make your twitter experience unique!
Gravity for Nokia symbian 3rd edition and 5th edition have the following options that I think are the most important to determine its value to any Twitter user:
- Twitter integration is truly extensive with super fast response time during any operation that you make through this application to your Twitter account.
- It supports the recently added Twitter functions like “Introduce”, Blacklists etc.
- It also supports cross functional updates, meaning, you can easily set up Twitter to automatically post your status or tweets as the default status message in your Facebook profile every time you post them at Twitter.
- Supports full screen mode on both the Feature Pack 5 and Feature Pack 3 based symbian mobile phones of Nokia. Supports background runs and updates on both S60 version 5th edition and 3rd edition phones.
- Gravity is quite visually rich with a nice glossy mobile 2.0 -ish interface that skins it all over and this makes this app stand out from the other ugly mobile Twitter clients. It is much less cluttered compared to other similar apps and the default view is really quite pretty with smooth anti aliasing for any adjustable font size.
- With this symbian application installed on your Series 60 device you will be able to tweet, re-tweet, reply your , follow , un-follow, search, maintain favorites and also post status updates on the go.
- Gravity lets you manage/create multiple tabs which can be assigned to customized groups that you can create (just like in the original desktop version of Twitter) straight from your mobile.
- Seamless integration with many other 3rd party add-on like TwitPic, Mobipicture, Posterous, Twitgoo etc which lets you post images and live links and other multimedia in any of your tweets straight from your handset. You can set up tabs dedicated to each of the 3rd party Twitter services or simply integrate their features through a right click based integrated menu.
- Being a native mobile app by build, Gravity for Symbian is a powerful application for Symbian OS. It will let you change your profile backgrounds, profile information, post rich images, customize your group views, see your follower’s history, switch tabs/windows instantly etc. with the help of gesture based movements (if your phone supports it) or touchscreen controls or simply by pressing a keypad button.
- With multiple keypad layouts available the Gravity Mobile Twitter client is easy to use and manage. It comes with a truly jam packed set of keyboard layouts (landscape and portrait) for different screen resolutions like that of Nokia E-Series and N-Series like E71, Nokia N97, N95, Nokia E71, N79, N95 8GB, NokiaN96 etc.
- Supports advanced features like Blacklisting of specific kind of tweets or blacklisting a particular follower. It also includes the newly integrated “Introduce” feature of Twitter along with all the other SMS based commands.
Download the new version:
or Download the old version:
The other client that you can use for taking your Twitter account in your pocket is Twittix by Mojo Studios. Twittix works just fine if you are looking for a mobile app which works with older versions of Symbian mobile phones from Nokia.
The key benefits of Twittix over Gravity is that Twittix is supported by a wide range of devices and feature packs that Nokia mobile phones are based on. Some of the major features of Twittix are:
- Just like Gravity, this application is based on Symbian SIS files which allows you to take advantage of true symbian power!
- The choice of fonts makes it an ideal application for anyone who prefers bigger fonts compared to the standard ones. Generally, around 5 tweets/re-tweets can be displayed without the need to scroll the screen.
- Allows you to post tweets, re-tweets, follow, unfollow, PM and reply to messages easily.
- Tabbed interfaces of activity timeline, history, followers, and a dedicated tab to view present activities and status updates.
- Supports nearly all Symbian 3rd edition mobile phones like 5320 XpressMusic, N73, 5500, 5700, Nokia 5800 Xpress Music, 6110, N71, N95, N82, N91, Nokia 3250,N92, N93, 6120, 6121, 6210, N96, 6220, 6290, 6650, E50, E51, E60, E66, E70, E71, E61, N76, N77, N78, N80, N81, E61i, E62, E63, E65, E90, N95 8GB and N97.
- Very easy to use and interact to any tweets through a simply Opera Mini like double keypad scrolling. Touchscreen based mobile phone (like N97, 5800 XpressMusic) will not be able to use the kinetic scrolling which is a major disappointment for any touchscreen devices user. Posting link in tweets is just a matter of posting it so be assured that it has covered all the basic functions (as mentioned in point 1)
- No 3rd party services are yet integrated with Twittix, so there is still no option for inserting 3rd party images into tweets.
- Twittix also supports displaying of avatars of the twitterers when they post a tweet or if you are viewing the conversation in a threaded view. That image itself acts as a “reply to” function.
- True excellence in terms of ease of use and navigation. It also consumes much less memory than Gravity, starting and exiting the app is a breeze!
Download Twittix below:
All in all Twittix is set to be one of the best solution out there for you to keep connected with your friends, followers and other contacts in Twitter. For a very few of us, Twittix may lose out marginally to Gravity because of its classic overall appearance but it provides the true simplicity in navigation which makes up the appearance factor. Just a matter of personal choice and taste!
Those two are my personal favs amongst all the twitter apps out there but I also feel that you should check out some symbian mobile and Java based freewares that are dedicated to Twitter because they can be equally good to Gravity and Twittix:
TweetS60: A simply S60 java based application which lets you post tweets, reply to tweets and browse the profile and images faster than the default internet client of the phone. It also lets you manage the basic stuffs of your profile from your phone. It also supports the polling function to S60 version 5 mobile phones.
SnapTu: SnapTu is an all in one client for your mobile. It lets you post to twitter with dedicated support for twitpic. It is lightweight and also supports viewing of external public feeds of your friends in Twitter.
Stew: Stew is not really an application for S60, rather it’s a widget for S60 5th edition phones. With Stew for Twitter you will be able to post twits and pics on twitter from your XpressMusic or N97 smartphones. Stew also supports an one time automatic setting option for all your future sign in sessions.
uTweetMe: Another simple application that can manage your Twitter account free. A lightweight solution to a trimmed down list of services.
Twibble Mobile Client: A must have application for anyone who is looking to post their status automatically based on the details of the GPS location that he or she is. Twibble supports these location based GPS status updates across multiple social services like Twitter, Facebook, MySpace etc. It also supports all the major functions of Twitter like posting tweets, follow ups, Twitter Search Integration, Image Sharing etc. This amazing free client also supports SSL based encryption for login and management.
Wizi: Another application that can be used for sharing live status and name of the location you are in is Wizi. Currently Wizi status updates are dedicated to Twitter only and it updates the status message of your profile in real time.
Twim: Twim is another free software for mobile phones of Series 60 symbian. Lets you perform the basic twitter services and also supports images, videos etc.
Abiro Jitter: Another lightweight twitter client which lets you send and receive tweets without much complication or fuss!
I am Doing: A very small Python based application for S60 which can post twits and pics from your Python supported Nokia phone.
To download the mobile applications that are freewares and are listed above, simply click on their names. You may need to have Winrar or Winzip installed on your phone or laptop so that you can extract the archives.
There you have it, all the juice of Twitter for mobile squeezed into one single post!! Choose whichever suits your interest and feel free to post comments about your experience on any of these excellent Nokia apps.
Please do subscribe to the Rss feed before downloading any of these Twitter applications for mobile on your handsets. Subscription is free and will be much appreciated, it takes you a second!
All GSM based phones that are using network operators like AT&T Wireless, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, Rogers, Vodafone, Telefonica, 3G, MTN, Orange Mobile UK, Cingular, Airtel, O2, etc will be able to support it as long as you have a subscription to the mobile internet services that are offered by them.